What if I told you there was a magical berry that grew in some far-off place, like West Africa, that when eaten would make everything else you ate taste amazing? With this miracle fruit you could chow down on lemons like they were apples, or drink a tall glass of vinegar and it would be amazing. You’d be skeptical, right? I was.
A shrub named Synsepalum dulcificum produces berries that have been dubbed “Miracle Fruit”. A chemical in them, called Miraculin (yeah, I’m serious) reacts with the tongue when you chew on the pulp, and bonds to the taste buds for about an hour. For that duration, when you eat something sour, your taste buds interpret it as sweet. There’s a little more to it than that, but it’s the gist. Magic!
The particular product I found, mberry, is a tablet made from the berry. You let the tablet dissolve over your tongue for about a minute and you get the same effects as chewing on the fruit. I had been wanting to try it out for a while, but I was hesitant to really spend any money on what was probably a big fake. Well, when Woot.com had a deal, selling 20 tablets for $10, I said, “Worth it!”
So today we gave them a try after lunch. Every article I’ve read has been completely accurate. They are completely amazing. It’s not a subtle effect at all.
Here’s a few highlights from what I’ve tried so far:
- Maple Syrup - My #1 favorite so far. You can taste so much depth in it, it’s mind blowing.
- Balsalmic Vinegar - It’s like you want to drink it by the glass. I don’t know what it tastes like, but I want more.
- Lemons - This classic miracle fruit treat really is amazing. They’re like candy. You’ll tear into them and feel bad before you realize that you’re eating a lemon.
- Hot sauce - Apply directly to tongue. You’ll thank me.
- Hummus - Sort of like peanut butter.
- Tequila - The cheaper the better. This smooths it out and makes for a happy friday afternoon at work. You’ll think you’re drinking top shelf stuff.
There’s a lot more we tried, and some were impressive, but there’s also surprising tastes that are terrible. Whatever you do, don’t try Jagermeister. Just don’t do it.
Has anyone else tried these things? Share your stories!